Underage Drinking Is A Criminal Offense

Underage drinking in Massachusetts is not just a rite of passage; it is a criminal offense. Not just for the minor, but also for the parent or other adult who sells or serves alcohol to that minor.

If your child has been charged with underage drinking and/or if you have been charged with furnishing alcohol, now is not the time to be without an attorney. There is far too much at stake, for both you and your child. You would be wise to contact an experienced underage drinking defense attorney, like the Franklin underage drinking attorneys at Wood & Gresham, P.C.

Working For You: More Than 30 Years Of Knowledge And Experience

When you hire Daniel J. Wood and David Gresham of the Wrentham law firm Wood & Gresham, P.C., you get their more than 30 years of combined legal experience working for you. This is not just 30 years of legal knowledge, although that is important. But it is also more than 30 years of serving real life clients, helping them in real life legal situations and making their real life, better.

Talk to us if your child has been charged with underage drinking. Your initial consultation is always free. To get started, call 508-384-2008 or complete the online form.

Penalties For Underage Drinking In Massachusetts

The legal drinking age is 21 and if you are convicted of underage drinking in Massachusetts, the penalties are stiff. You could be heavily fined, lose your driver's license and do jail time. You now have a criminal record, which lessens your chances of receiving financial aid, getting a job and going to college.

What Is Covered Under The Commonwealth's Underage Drinking Statute

The first thing to know is that "underage drinking" is not confined to just the drinking. You could be in violation of the statute if you:

  • Purchase, attempt to purchase or induce another to purchase or in any way get alcohol
  • Use a false license or ID
  • Alter a license or ID
  • Use another person to purchase or get alcohol
  • Possess, carry or transport alcohol (unless accompanied by a parent of legal guardian or at least 18 years old and acting in an employment capacity)
  • Possess an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle
  • Drive under the influence of alcohol of any intoxicating substance (alcohol, illegal drugs or prescription drugs)

For a person under the legal age to be considered "under the influence," all it takes is a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .02.

For parents or other adults who furnish alcohol to someone underage series consequences await them, too, including having a criminal record. If you provide alcohol to someone 17 and under, you may also be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Charged With Underage Drinking? Call Us.

If you or your child has been charged with underage drinking, call the experienced underage drinking defense lawyers at Wood & Gresham, P.C. Your initial consultation is always free. Call 508-384-2008 or complete the online form to get started.